Re: SQL Server vs. Oracle

From: H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:42:36 -0500

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 lrako_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working with Oracle for 3 years now. I would say that I
> really love that db because it's powerful. OK, sometimes it is not very
> easy to catch in the first place but when you make it, it is really
> rewarding. And enrichful. Besides, now you can find also nice GUI to
> help you.
>
> Since one month, I've been doing the switch towards SQL Server(not my
> choice). It is lot easier when you already have a Oracle background.
> Besides, with SQL server, you're limited to the Windows OS.
> 'Playing' Oracle on Solaris or Unix is definetely more powerful and
> flexible.

Hello everybody,

  1. Is it common for an Oracle DBA to work with MS SQL Server or other database management packages?
  2. Besides SQL and Oracle, what other programs do you find yourself working with as a DBA? (On this newsgroup, someone mentioned Forms, Reports, Developer, etc...)
  3. Also, how much 'creativity' do you think is involved in database administration?

As a DBA, I wouldn't want to work with the same program all day long. On the other hand, I would like to work with different tools and always learn new things: would this be true for DBAs?

Thanks again for your help!
H_H Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 12:42:36 CDT