Re: SQL Server vs. Oracle

From: <lrako_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:26:52 GMT

Hi,

I've been working with Oracle for 3 years now. I would say that I really love that db because it's powerful. OK, sometimes it is not very easy to catch in the first place but when you make it, it is really rewarding. And enrichful. Besides, now you can find also nice GUI to help you.

Since one month, I've been doing the switch towards SQL Server(not my choice). It is lot easier when you already have a Oracle background. Besides, with SQL server, you're limited to the Windows OS. 'Playing' Oracle on Solaris or Unix is definetely more powerful and flexible.

Regards,

Lalaina
CRM Consultant
Complete Business Solutions Inc.

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in becoming a DBA but I'm not sure what to
> choose from between Microsoft SQL server and Oracle.
>
> SQL Server has a very nice GUI and seems to be easier to use, whereas
> Oracle tends to be more command line oriented. Oracle, on the
> other hand, is much more stable and powerful and is probably the best
> database management software out there.
>
> To someone who wants to be begin a career as a DBA, would you suggest
> becoming a Microsoft SQL Server DBA or an Oracle DBA? I know there are
> plenty of jobs for Oracle DBAs, but what about jobs for SQL
> Server? Moneywise $, who tends to be rewarded better?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> H_H

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 07:26:52 CDT