Re: Temp (sort) on Raid 5....

From: Viacheslav Leichinsky <v_leichinsky_at_ittoolbox.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:21:18 GMT

In article <1tgfvs4ohhigt9djuf0ueg0robs5asa2ca_at_4ax.com>,   Doug <zuestra_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Souds like a horrible idea, doesn't it? But, unfortunately I'm in
> the position of having to prove it. Any ideas? Any way to
> demonstrate with sysstat or system_event or something that sorting is
> running like glue?

Hi!

If you turn write-back cache on, it will be not so bad.

But the last idea from oracle about proper files distribution is SAME (Stripe And Mirroring Everything) methodology. According of this one you should put all files (data, index, temp, rbs, control and logs!!) on RAID10 ( created by LVM, you don't need hardware RAID, only JBOD with write cache) with stripe size 1MB, multiblock read size 1MB and max I/O size 1MB !! Don't forget place db files on outside tracks of disks. It's so easy and unexpensive. Knowledge, solid background, thoughts about proper oracle files distribution are unnecessary for DBA now :)

SAME was introduced by J.Loaiza from Oracle Corp at OpenWorld 2000, you can find his presentation on oracle's technet. The one citation from this paper:
"The SAME configuration produces close to optimal performance for ALL workloads: OLTP, Warehouse and Batch. We belive that the SAME configuration will become the predominant configuration for Oracle databases".

Regards,
Slava.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 02:21:18 CDT