Re: Urgent !!! Character Set Problem

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:11:46 GMT

In article <39f6bdf0_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> By the way, that wasn't a frivolous reply: Oracle 8 and above gives
 you the
> chance to have *two* character sets per database, and even then the
 National
> language character set is supposed to be a close relative of the
 database
> character set. Hence, if you want three, you're stuffed -unless you
 can
> find a character set that embraces them all (guess what? Unicode
 does).

> There is an argument that Western European ISO 8 bit covers both
 English and
> French (which is merely a dialect of Southern English, of course).
 So you
> *could* do it in two, if you could do WE8ISO... and whatever it is for
> Chinese... but I suspect that Chinese is multibyte anyway, and WE8ISO
 isn't,
> so you're going to get into a right old mess if you try that
 combination.
> Hence, as I said, Unicode...
>
> Incidentally, is it me, or do I detect the scent of American
 Imperialism....

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > Try a Unicode character set. Frankly, disks are cheap, and I reckon
> > everyone should be doing that these days, just in case.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --

> > Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
> > Oracle DBA Resources:

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> > "Mike Ng" <mikeng1974_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I need to store multiple language Big-5 Chinese, France and
 English in
 same
> > > database. How can I achieve it? I have no idea about it, and I
 need to
> > > implement it urgently. Anyone can give me some hints.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Mike Ng

You really should travel more, Howard. Yes, we speak 'American' here in the U.S. It's the only way I can describe it, as it most definitely is NOT the Queen's English.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/