Re: Enterprise 8i on Linux or Solaris?

From: <mountain_bog_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:11:35 GMT

Hello,

Pricing: According to Oracle Canada, when calculating UPUs, there is a multiplication factor depending on what type of processor you intend to use: Intel processors have a multiplication factor of 1, Solaris processors have a multiplication factor of 2. So right away, your licenses are going to cost more on Sun platforms, this is straight from mouth of Oracle the mighty. Their sales staff have prepared quotes for me on both various Linux and Solaris platforms. Perhaps it works differently in other countries?

Daryl

In article <8t6gds$pup$1_at_soap.pipex.net>,   "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1. Pricing.
> Um why do you say that Oracle licensing is cheaper on Linux? The
 Oracle
> store seems to suggest that the prices are platform independent. The
 only
> rational that i can think of is that you might buy a less powerful box
 for
> linux than solaris and license on a power unit basis. That is not
 however
> comparing like with like, and in any case I would have expected you to
> purchase the best hardware available within your budget irrespective
 of
> operating system. I am of course assuming x86 solaris here.
>
> 2. Platform
>
> It is true that Oracle has been running and indeed being developed on
> solaris for some time now. Linux is a new direction for Oracle and
 also as a
> platform is maturing rapidly. If you wre trying to justify the extra
 expense
> then , I would be arguing along the lines of reliability and track
 record.
> In addition Solaris scales well to multiple CPU architectures. This is
 also
> a good line of argument.
>
> 3. Enterprise Edition.
> Given that you say you will be scrutinized for the extra expense of
 the
> solaris operating system vs linux I would make sure that you
 *absolutely*
> require the extra 8i features only available in Enterprise Edition.
 IMO For

> > I'm making some purchasing decisions for my company. We're going to
> > purchase Enterprise 8i, but I'm not sure yet what operating system
 that
> > I want to go with.
> >
> > Linux boxes tend to be cheaper, both for hardware reasons and Oracle
> > Licensing.
> >
> > Some people believe that a Solaris platform would be stronger but
 nobody
> > can tell me why. The only reasoning I hear is that Oracle has been
> > designing for Solaris for such a long time. I need a little more
 than
> > just hearsay to make an educated decision.
> >
> > What are facts here? Is a Solaris platform better? If I go with
> > Solaris, I have to justify the increased cost. I've seen a lot of
> > postings here about installation problems with RH 7.0 but that's not
> > very concrete reason for selecting Solaris over Linux.
> >
> > Got some facts? Need the info.
> >
> > Daryl Beauregard
> > GIS Analyst and DBA
> > The McGregor Group
> > Prince George, Canada
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 15:11:35 CDT