Re: Creating a Database on RAID 5

From: <stevecroft_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:52:15 GMT

> I mostly agree with this. The advantages of having RAID5 for mission
> critical data cannot be underestimated. I had an experience about a year ago
> when one of the disks in the array had a gross media failure and was
> delighted when I found out that even without taking the server down we could
> just pull out the failed driver, insert a new one and all without the users
> even knowing that anything had happened.

RAID 0 would have handled this without the performance penalty and without having to worry about redundant write cache (what happens when your cache fails?) More costly, but my point is you don't *have* to use RAID5 for mission critical. You just have to make sure your failure scenarios are covered. And make sure your RAID5 write cache has redundancy (caches can fail)

Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 08:52:15 CDT