Re: Enterprise 8i on Linux or Solaris?

From: <mountain_bog_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:16:51 GMT

Hi Steve,

I just posted an answer to your first question there. According to Oracle Canada, and the quotes that they sent me, the multiplication factor for processors makes Linux cheaper to license (Linux mult factor is 1, Solaris is 2). Seems a bit of a ripper to me, I find Oracle's licensing policies to be a bit dubious.

Daryl

In article <8t9dld$fje$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   steve_at_projectarena.com wrote:
> In article <8t52fa$utp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> daryl_at_McGregor.bc.ca wrote:
>
> > Linux boxes tend to be cheaper, both for hardware reasons and Oracle
> > Licensing.
>
> Is Oracle licensing really cheaper? The Oracle site indicates pricing
> based on either user count or CPU speed.
>
> We've found that our 450MHz processors outperform 550Mz Pentiums
 running
> iPlanet. May be apples and oranges using iPlanet to determine Oracle
> performance, but that's what we found anyway.
>
> If you're supporting a few concurrent transactions, then it probably
> wouldn't matter which platform you use. If you plan on supporting
 more
> transactions, now or in the future, SPARC/Solaris would be the way I'd
> recommend. Oracle and Solaris scale well over multiple processors
> better than Linux does right now. You would not have to worry about a
> platform switch and the lost knowledge that goes with it.
>
> Steve
> Project Arena
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 15:16:51 CDT