unrecoverable_time column in v$datafile not being refreshed

From: Steve Roper <steve.roper_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:36:31 GMT

Hi,

I just put this problem in as a TAR to Metalink, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across the same issue:

Oracle8i 8.1.5.0.0 on SEQUENT DYNIX/ptx(R) V4.5.1

I was testing the implementation of a standby database and required a script to monitor the LIVE database for operations that are not captured in the Redo Logs.

As part of the test I used SQL Loader to insert data into a table using the direct path method. After the direct path load, I queried the column "unrecoverable_time" in the v$datafile view.

If the column was already null then a time stamp of the datafile change was recorded in the column.

However, subsequent direct loads were not recorded in the "unrecoverable_time" column.

In short the timestamp was not refreshed and consequently I was unable to ascertain that non-logged direct loads had occurred.

The archived redo logs are required to be applied to a STANDBY database, which may become corrupt if unlogged activities have not been detected in time.

This error does NOT occur (i.e. the timestamp IS updated) if SQL data changes are made unrecoverable in SQLPLUS.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

regards

Steve Roper
Database Administrator
EDS (UK) Ltd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:36:31 CDT