Re: Scheme for Frequent Backups and Reloads

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:35:56 -0500

the redo logs cannot be used to "undo" changes made to the database, except, as you outlined before, restoring an older datafile, and recovering the database to a specific SCN or a point in time, as you described.

to speed up the recovery process, you might consider placing copies of the backup datafiles in a separate directory, and creating symbolic links to point to the datafiles.

if, for example, you could move the datafiles in /u01/oradata/sid (when the database is down, of course) to /u01/sid_data1 and create symbolic links from the original location(s), like this: ln -s /u01/sid_data1/file.dbf /u01/oradata/sid/file1.dbf

then you can also put copies of the backup files in another location, for example /u01/sid_data2

allow the developers to run their tests, and when it is time to recover, simply replace all of the symbolic links to point to the pristine copies of the cold backup, and be ready to bring the database backup up very quickly.

then you can restore copies of the backup files to the first directory (/u01/sid_data1) location, and then you'd be ready to simply replace the symbolic links again.

as far as loading new data, why not have the developers have the developers keep the scripts/code they use to load the data, and then they can reload the data after a restore.