Re: Scheme for Frequent Backups and Reloads

From: <teefamcg_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:10:02 GMT

I like your idea, but we are deleting from about 70 tables. Also, the developers may need to add tables to the list, and they would have to remember to add a trigger for the new tables. Also, a few tables are updated. Altogether, this way may be too complicated. Thank you for the suggestion.
Jamil

In article <8t7n6l$5ju$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   kal121_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> This may seem simplistic, but how about writing a trigger that inserts
> the deleted rows into another table. Then, when you are ready to reset
> the database, just insert the rows back into the original tables, and
> rebuild the indexes if needed.
>
> In article <8t7lhs$44e$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> teefamcg_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hello, I have an 8.1.6.2 Oracle database running on an Unix
 platform. So as
> > not to impact the production environment or other development
 environments,
> > developers will use this database to develop and test a purge
 procedure.
> > Once the delete code is run, they will want to recover the database
 back to
> > its status before the delete. I have a cold backup, which we can
 use
 by
> > shutting down the database, removing the dbf files, copying over the
> > compressed backup files and uncompressing. After about an hour and
 half,
> > they can restart the database. This process is unsatisfactory
 for two
> > reasons: 1. It takes a fair amount of time. 2. If the developer
 wants to
> > create specific, new data to purge, they would have to input the
 data, create
> > a new cold backup (over an hour), before testing the code again.
> >
> > I would like somehow to use the archive logs. With a small test, I
 was able
> > to recover the database fairly quickly using 'recover database until
 time
> > ....' and specifying a time after I new data was created and before
 the
> > delete happened. But the database was completely recovered,
 including the
> > delete. So my questions are: 1. Can I use the archive logs for
 this
> > purpose, and how can I recover the data without the delete? 2.
 Once I 'alter
> > database open resetlogs', do I need to keep the archivelogs from
 before the
> > database was shutdown? Can they be deleted, and the next time
 I recover the
> > database will I only need the archive logs since this most recent
 restart?

> > Your words of wisdom are welcome. I do not want to use the
 Export/Import
> > functionality because a full Export/Import would take more time than
 using
> > the cold backup files, and the incremental will not handle well that
 the
> > tables already exist. Thanks, Jamil
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 19:10:02 CDT