Re: Deleting Archive Logs after backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:30:00 +1000

"Dave A" <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:svcj7t935mb9e6_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Howard, what you say *should* be true, but it isn't always. Consider a
 real
> world example that has one company in dire straights right now. The
 backup
> software correctly backs up the database (hotbackup), but does not alter
 the
> tablespaces out of backup mode.
>
> The tablespaces remain in backup mode for a week.
>
> The database crashes and a file is lost. The file is restored from last
> night's backup. The needed archive logs will be those generated
 immediately
> after the last backup prior to the tablespaces getting left in backup
 mode(a
> week ago), not those generated immediately after the beginning of last
> night's backup.
>
> In this real world example, someone deleted an archive log (bunches of em
> actually) that hadn't been backed up at all by mistake. They are trying
> figure out how to recover with a gap in the archives. Good luck.
>
> Oracle doesn't actually need the archive logs from a week ago, it just
> thinks it does and will insist upon it's way.
>
> Dave A

I'd hesitate to say that this wrong... OK, I will -it's wrong: have they tried 'alter database datafile X end backup'? That's all that's needed to persuade Oracle that the file doesn't really need recovery.

It's covered in the Backup and Recovery course materials (available for download from www.geocities.com/howardjr2000) in chapter 5, under the heading 'failure during hot backup'.

Regards
HJR
> --
> Dave A
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:8t24f6$h83$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
 Shouldn't