Re: RMAN - Best Practices

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 05:33:01 +1000

I'm obviously missing the point here, but you only ever need to register the thing once. After that it is regularly re-synched (either manually, or as part of doing a backup or restore operation). And if you ever do a resetlogs on the target, then a reset operation on the catalogue would need to be performed.

As for having a different schema for each target, absolutely not.

Version names... absolutely not.

Sizing: If your RMAN tablespace is around 20Mb per target per year, you'll be in the right ball park.

Where to write the backup sets etc : Anywhere that won't cause i/o conflict and slow the thing down. Personally, I'd have a separate hard disk for the outputs, but then I have shares in Seagate.

Can you trust RMAN and use 'delete input'? Can you trust anything these days??! The answer is yes, it is reliable as far as checking that there are no corruptions in the files it is backing up. But it is only a piece of software, and even Larry (praise be to He) is not capable (yet) of writing software that has no bugs or imperfections. Do I ever delete archives therefore? No, I don't compress them or whip 'em off onto tape at the earliest possible moment... I keep a week's worth on disk, before ageing them off onto another disk... before finally writing them onto tape. And yes, I have shares in Seagate.

Don't make RMAN harder for yourself than it actually (and already) is. Set it up as it was intended to be set up: one RMAN User, one RMAN tablespace, one catalogue per several databases. It's a tool. When the tool needs to be upgraded, deal with the issues then (and what you describe below isn't going to help you any when that time comes).

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"Jake" <jjstrauss_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> While that may let me register the other database (2). I want to register
> all of the databases. Won't I run into the same problem? i.e. I
unregister
> database (1), register database (2), then try to register database (1)
> again.
>
> Thanks
> Jake
>
> "roosterjax" <roosterjax_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Jake,
> >
> > Perhaps the easiest thing to do here is to unregister the databases and
then
> > re-register. This is done by first listing the databases that are
already
> > registered in the catalog. To do this connect to the schema in the
catalog
> > ( rman805 ) using SQL*Plus then :
> >
> > select db_name,a.db_key,db_id,dbinc_key
> > from db a, dbinc b
> > where a.db_key = b.db_key
> >

> > This will tell you the databases registered and their db_key and db_id
which
> > can then be used
> > to unregister them.
> >
> > to do this use
> >
> > EXECUTE dbms_rcvcat.unregisterdatabase(db_key, db_id);
> >
> > You can then register the databases that you wish.
> >

> > Nevin Hahn
> > nhahn_at_evoke.com
> >

> > "Jake" <jjstrauss_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm just getting started with RMAN (v8.0.5). I understand that the
> > > structure of the catalog changes from release to release (i.e. 805 is
> > > different than 8.1.5, is different from 8.1.6...).
> > >
> > > So I named my schema rman805, with the intent to build another schema
> > > rman816 when I finally upgrade. I intended to register all my
databases in
> > > a single schema (prd, dev, tst...).
> > >
> > > But I'm running into a "database already registered" error. The doc
leads
> > > me to believe its because the prior DBA copied the databases (i.e.
copied
> > > the files, edited the control file, and started the database under a
> > > different name).
> > >
> > > So, How are you guys doing this:
> > >
> > > - For each target database, are you building a new schema and
installing the
> > > catalog?
> > >
> > > - For each database version are you naming the schema with that
version in
> > > the name?
> > >
> > > - If your building a separate schema for each database, how big should
that
> > > users default tablespace be: I've seen 10M, 50M, and 100M in different
> > > oracle docs.
> > >
> > > - Where are you writing your rman files i.e.
/u01/app/oracle/admin/SID/rman?