Re: RMAN - Best Practices

From: roosterjax <roosterjax_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 05:11:12 GMT

Hi Jake,

Perhaps the easiest thing to do here is to unregister the databases and then re-register. This is done by first listing the databases that are already registered in the catalog. To do this connect to the schema in the catalog ( rman805 ) using SQL*Plus then :

select db_name,a.db_key,db_id,dbinc_key
from db a, dbinc b
where a.db_key = b.db_key

This will tell you the databases registered and their db_key and db_id which can then be used
to unregister them.

to do this use

EXECUTE dbms_rcvcat.unregisterdatabase(db_key, db_id);

You can then register the databases that you wish.

Nevin Hahn
nhahn_at_evoke.com

"Jake" <jjstrauss_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e5rJ5.1609$vy5.99893_at_e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm just getting started with RMAN (v8.0.5). I understand that the
> structure of the catalog changes from release to release (i.e. 805 is
> different than 8.1.5, is different from 8.1.6...).
>
> So I named my schema rman805, with the intent to build another schema
> rman816 when I finally upgrade. I intended to register all my databases
 in
> a single schema (prd, dev, tst...).
>
> But I'm running into a "database already registered" error. The doc leads
> me to believe its because the prior DBA copied the databases (i.e. copied
> the files, edited the control file, and started the database under a
> different name).
>
> So, How are you guys doing this:
>
> - For each target database, are you building a new schema and installing
 the
> catalog?
>
> - For each database version are you naming the schema with that version in
> the name?
>
> - If your building a separate schema for each database, how big should
 that
> users default tablespace be: I've seen 10M, 50M, and 100M in different
> oracle docs.
>
> - Where are you writing your rman files i.e.
 /u01/app/oracle/admin/SID/rman?