Re: Serialize access to tables

From: roosterjax <roosterjax_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 05:31:54 GMT

Hi Shelby,

It seems to me that you can achieve the desired results by forcing all connections to go through stored procedures, for reading and writing. ie create all the
tables, procedures, and other objects under one schema then grant execute privilege to the procedures (which do all the reading and writing) to another schema. Then have all users connect to the schema having only execute privilege. In this way you can control access to the tables. If you wish to truly wish to serialize the process then set up a queue in the first schema
to control access further. I advise against locking tables it can be very problematic in a multi-user environment.

Nevin Hahn
nhahn_at_evoke.com