Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available / ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed (Oracle 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 2.6)

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available / ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed (Oracle 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 2.6)

From: Leonardo <no_at_spam.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:23:32 -0700

Hi,

I'm running a recently-installed Oracle 8.1.6 Standard Edition on Solaris 2.6

I keep getting
  ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
error when trying to connect to the database. I got the same error when I first ran the Database Configuration Assistant.

If I connect as INTERNAL, I get
  Connected to an idle instance.

I've tried running "svrmgrl" and connect INTERNAL as SYSDBA, then running STARTUP;
I get:
  ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed The error code isn't really helpful:
  Cause: Operating system call failed.
  Action: Check errno and contact Oracle Customer Support

I USED to get "out of memory error". I put entries in /etc/system for all the SHM* & SEM*. Still no go. My system complained about SEM* not existing, so I removed those entries. Still nothing

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Leonardo Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 05:23:32 CDT