Re: How to control developers writting better SQL

From: <emaus081269_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:59:07 GMT

You need to try and impliment a version control environment. If UNIX platform look into RCS (Revision Control System). Then developers will have to checkout / check in code to groups.

In article <8t3vc8$ahs1_at_eccws12.dearborn.ford.com>,   "Dasari" <sbabudas_at_ford.com> wrote:
> Educating developers to write better SQL is far most easier but they
 never
> follow they have their own problems. For instance for same purpose
 many
> developers write same SQL in different styles confusing Oracle.
 Please do
> not call this as bad design of application, but merely an issue of
> controlling all this
> to make a DBA life easier. Monitoring for time consuming SQLs and
 tuning is
> a continuous process anyway.
> Can I say something like a .sql file with all the SQL statements
 written by
> the developers called SQL library, If they want to write a SQL pl.
 check in
> this file
> make sure one is not available for the purpose and append into this
 file and
> a DBA frequently monitors this file for any new SQL's that require
 basic
> tuning.
> Does this make sense.
> How you'll do this, I would be very grateful if you could share some
> thoughts / ideas.
>
> TIA
> Dasari

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 09:59:07 CDT