Enterprise 8i on Linux or Solaris?

From: <daryl_at_McGregor.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:29:04 GMT

I'm making some purchasing decisions for my company. We're going to purchase Enterprise 8i, but I'm not sure yet what operating system that I want to go with.

Linux boxes tend to be cheaper, both for hardware reasons and Oracle Licensing.

Some people believe that a Solaris platform would be stronger but nobody can tell me why. The only reasoning I hear is that Oracle has been designing for Solaris for such a long time. I need a little more than just hearsay to make an educated decision.

What are facts here? Is a Solaris platform better? If I go with Solaris, I have to justify the increased cost. I've seen a lot of postings here about installation problems with RH 7.0 but that's not a very concrete reason for selecting Solaris over Linux.

Got some facts? Need the info.

Daryl Beauregard
GIS Analyst and DBA
The McGregor Group
Prince George, Canada

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 17:29:04 CDT