Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:16:05 GMT

In article <8t4aip$l9n$1_at_soap.pipex.net>,   "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
> I agree
>
> however when we are paying tens of thousands in support for a third
 party
> product and that product is certified on 8.1.5 but not 8.1.6 then we
 have to
> live with the bugs in 8.1.5. Mind you so do their support staff.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > The theory is fine, Liz, and to that extent I agree with you.
 However, if
> > you want to transport a tablespace, move a table without having to
 recreate
> > all indexes, triggers and permissions, or investigate the redo logs
 with a
> > view to total data recovery -guess what? You have to have 8i...
 and if
> > you're going to have 8i, you'd best have the version that works (ie
 8.1.6).

> > There is a wealth of new stuff in 8i that warrants the upgrade on
 its own.
> > Just mho
> > Regards
> > HJR
> >

> > "Liz Reen" <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <39f049d4_at_news.iprimus.com.au>, howardjr_at_www.com
 says...
 drop
 Oracle
 8
 concentrate
 on
 the

 recently
 discovered
> > > Just remember that a whole pile of the real world is stuck on
 7.3.4 for
> > > variety of good reasons. I could wish I was on 8i, but until the
> > > software vendor puts out an 8i version, I'm stuck with 7.3.4.
> > >
> > > My advice is learn how things work. If you understand the theory
 behind
> > > the program it does not matter what the program is. Databases are
> > > databases be they Oracle, Sybase, or SQL Server. I have worked
 on 7
> > > different operating systems in my career. Once I understood the
 theory
> > > it was very easy to learn another one.
> > >

> > > Liz

And that also applies to applications written for 7.3.4 that have yet to be upgraded to 8 or 8i. Sometimes one cannot upgrade no matter how desperately one wishes to due to third-party software constraints. And, many times, the agony of searching out a new vendor for software that WILL run on 8 or 8i is so great that the administration will not endure it if the current vendor's product is serving the needs of the company or department.

Yes, it IS nice to have the features of the most current release, but sometimes it is not to be.

Patience is STILL a virtue (especially with third-party software vendors).

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/