Re: Redo Logs

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:45:53 GMT

In article <8t2e1i$puu$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   aminocha_at_unibiz.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I created a database with 5 redolog members and did not specify any
> group# for the redo log members. Now i want to assign a group to the
> redo logs already created and also create another group of redo logs.
>
> How do i do this.
> I am using oracle 8.0.5 on NT.
>
> Thanks
> Anurag
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you didn't specify a log group when the redo logs were created ORACLE will assign one sequentially for each log created presuming the logs are created individually, i.e., your first redo log will be in Group 1, the next will be in Group 2 and so forth. If you create redo logs in sets, as in the example below, both logs will be in the same log Group:

ALTER DATABASE ADD LOGFILE
('/oracle/dbs/log1c.rdo', '/oracle/dbs/log2c.rdo') SIZE 500K;

You can specify the group at log creation:

ALTER DATABASE ADD LOGFILE GROUP 10
('/oracle/dbs/log1c.rdo', '/oracle/dbs/log2c.rdo') SIZE 500K;

Do not skip Group numbers -- start from 1 and increment from there. Skipping log file group numbers will take up unnecessary space in the control files.

You can add or drop log files from the existing group or groups but you cannot assign a new group number to existing logs.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA