RedHat6.1, 8.1.6, dbassist problem

From: codus <codus_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:19:36 -0400

I run RH 6.1 with kernel version 2.2.12-20. I have been trying to install ORACLE 8.1.6.1.0 Standard Edition for several days now, but I have had limited success.

I have set the necessary environment variables, created the needed users/groups, and run ./runInstaller and everything installs fine.

But, when the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant starts up (either automatically at install, or later at the prompt), I get the following result:

[webmaster_at_codus bin]$ ./dbassist
java.lang.NumberFormatException:

        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Compiled Code)
        at WizOSD.getAvailableMemory(Compiled Code)
        at WizOSD.DBQueryAvailableRAM(Compiled Code)
        at CheckerClass.CheckAvailableRAM(Compiled Code)
        at CheckerClass.DetectAll(Compiled Code)
        at DBConfigInfo_base.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at DBConfigInfo.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at DBCreateWizard.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at DBCreateWizard.main(Compiled Code)

and it just hangs...

I'm at my wit's end. ANY ADVICE, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

-CoDuS Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 19:19:36 CDT