Re: Is Oracle "very" hard to learn?

From: <dellera_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:00:13 GMT

> I just got certified sort of for the hell of it.. But, there's no
> substitute for a few years of experience to go along with it at the
> very least..

And I don't think that you are going to pass the OCP certification if you have never 'played' with Oracle (written SQL, PL/SQL, started an instance and so on). You have to have a clear picture of Oracle in order to answer correctly to the majority of the questions - and a clear picture comes only out of experience. You don't need to be a guru, but you can't just memorize 6 books and succeed, neither.

> If companies are offering money to people who've passed
> the cerification exams only, they are asking for big trouble. Good
> DBa's (as mentioned above) , work long hours, and love what they do.

I agree - if you're in only for the money, you will be be both a bad dba and a frustrated worker. The same applies to every job, though.

> The certification exams will guarntee a certain amount of minimum
> knowlege,

It also guarantees the you know something of _every_ aspect of Oracle - that you are not only (as a contrived example) a sql guru who knows nothing of pl/sql, thus missing the opportunity to do in 10 minutes something that requires 1 week if written in pure sql.

I know people with years of experience in Oracle that know nothing about simple concepts like PCTFREE and PCTUSED ... something you will definetely know (at least approximately) if you pass the OCP. At least, you know they're there, which is a good start.

> but it won't test how a person behaves when he get's a call
> at 3am that someone dropped a table containg $100 million dollars
> worth of general ledger entries.. That only comes by being in the
> drivers seat for a while..
> >
> >Skiff Islaan wrote:
> >
> >> I am interested about getting certified.
> >> A friend of mine told me that you can make big $$$ with it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 17:00:13 CDT