Re: How to move raw datafiles?

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwin_at_dondorp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:10:11 +0200

Bill Border wrote:
> I was going to suggest the same thing (using dd). One word
> of caution. If you use a large blocksize, you could miss the
> last few oracle blocks if the raw disk is not a multiple of
> the large blocksize. For this, I would use a 1024 blocksize
> to be safe. I used to work with Informix where we always used
> raw and we did encounter this issue.

"dd" knows about blocks that are smaller than the given buffer size (the "bs=" clause).
There should be no reason why the amount of data to transfer should be an exact multiple of the given block size. Anything else should be a bug in "dd".

> [about using soft links]

Thanks for the addition!

        Erwin Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 11:10:11 CDT