Re: Best Platform for Oracle

From: STiger2000 <stiger2000_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 07:18:33 GMT

OpenVMS is a proprietary OS from a company formerly known as Digital Equipment Corporation (now owned by Compaq). OpenVMS is a robust, secure, multi-user OS with TruClusters (or however they're spelling it this week).
OpenVMS isn't so much a program as a set of routines that are interrupt driven. With Unix you get the kernel ... and so much more ... They're different as night and day ... but from the management / administrator side ... it's the same job: in OpenVMS you say DIR ... in Unix you say ls in OpenVMS you say TYPE ... in Unix you say cat etc etc etc
OpenVMS will be around for awhile, but it is only commercially available on the Compaq Alpha platform - which is a solid box. Saying 'Unix' is kind of like saying 'soup' ... there are so many kinds.
Phillipe Bourne has a book that nicely translates VMS into Unix for the experienced System Manager...I suppose it could be read backwards for a SysAdmin that needed to know VMS.

jc

 <Laishev_at_smtp.deltatel.ru> wrote:
> > The OpenVMS!
> >

> > Norris wrote:
> >>
> >> May I know which plaform is best for oracle?
> >>
> >> --
> >> e-Consultant
> >> http://www.asl.com.hk/employment.htm
> >> http://www.eroom.com
> >
> > --
> > Cheers.
> > RADIUS Server for OpenVMS project - www.radiusvms.com
> > www.DLS.net - Connecting with Care!
> > vms-isps_at_dls.net - Forum for ISP running OpenVMS
>
> --
> e-Consultant
> http://www.asl.com.hk/employment.htm
> http://www.eroom.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 02:18:33 CDT