Re: I have a job with Oracle and SQL, what do i need to do?

From: <jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:50:45 GMT

I started my first job under similar circumstances. I think the most important thing to do is set the correct expectations up front. Let management know that you are not going to benefit the company in the short term. They are going to need to A) send you to training and B) get consultants to both fill in for you as you are coming up to and show you the ropes. As long as they know that this is a long term commitment for both you and them, you should be ok. Don't expect to have too much of a life for the next 12 to 18 months if you take this job. When I started, I was working 60 hours a week and then reading Oracle how-to books until I fell asleep every night. Also, if this is a 24X7 environment and you are in a DBA-ish role, expect to be wearing a pager and expect it to go off... but only when you are out having fun : )

In article <39E65F39.92156240_at_houston.rr.com>,   vinyl_at_houston.rr.com wrote:
> My uncle is offering me a job with their new online side of his
 company,
> he wants me to learn Oracle and SQL. I am not a computer novice.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction of where I should begin?
>
> What can I expect from this type of position?
>
> any! help appreciated.
>
> thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 13:50:45 CDT