Re: Handling of archive logs

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:11:27 +1000

The realist in me says if you think you can get away with it, why not?

The purist in me says... the archive logs are the only thing standing between you and data loss, so you play around with them at your peril. Compression to me sounds like a very *bad* idea, since you are rather relying on the compression working correctly, and the decompression to work without a hitch when needed. Anything goes wrong at either end, and you've just lost your logs, and hence the data they were supposed to be protecting.

Managerially, it's also suspect: when the database goes down, your job is supposed to be to get it back up and running again as quickly as humanly possible. By compressing your logs, however, you've introduced another stage in the process, and hence meantime to recover will inevitably be longer.

My suggestion? Buy some more hard disks.

Regards