Protocol Adapter Error (help decipher log)

From: Mazur <robertm_at_sherwoodforestfarms.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:40:04 -0700

I am having trouble logging into my Oracle db over my LAN. Oracle8i: 8.1.5 (brand new install)
NT4 Server (sp6)
NT4 Workstation Client (new Oracle Client install)

The crazy thing is that when I look at the resulting log file (shown below), the log attempt from the server and from the client look alike, as if they both succeeded! I can log in when at the server, but the client fails with this error:
ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error

***THE DATABASE NAME IS MOBY
***Oracle is on NT box named rainserver_b

***RESULT IN MOBY.LOG AFTER SUCCESSFUL LOGIN FROM SERVER
21-OCT-00 20:03:38 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=moby)(CID=(PROGRAM=D:\Oracle\Ora81\BIN\SQLPLUS.EXE)(HOST=RAINSERVER_B)(USER=Administrator))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=204.236.21.12)(PORT=1644)) * establish * moby * 0

***RESULT IN MOBY.LOG AFTER FAILED LOGIN FROM CLIENT
21-OCT-00 20:09:37 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=moby)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin\jrew.exe)(HOST=JESSICA)(USER=mazur))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.1.10)(PORT=1099)) * establish * moby * 0

On the client side, the name of the machine is "jessica" and I am logged into NT as "mazur", but I am specifying "scott" and "tiger" when trying to access the oracle instance on the server, just like I am when I logon on from the server itself. My client tnsnames.ora file names moby to be on
host=rainserver_b
port=1521
protocol=TCP
service_name=moby

Does it seem to you like the server thinks the client logon was successful? I can run "tnsping moby" on server and get a successful result, and I can run "lsnrctl status moby" from the server and get all the good stats.

BUT!, if I run "lsnrctl status" without specifying moby, I get a bunch of errors saying there is no listener, protocol adapter errors and target host or object doesn't exist. There is no other listener. Why am I getting this? Can anyone make sense of this?

Thanks!
Rob Received on Sat Oct 21 2000 - 22:40:04 CDT