Re: Oracle 7 application running against Oracle 8i (HP-UX)

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:04:37 -0500

you can run a character mode install. be sure to set TWO_TASK environment variable, and then the installation assumes a "client only" install. also, be sure to set the ORACLE_TERM environment variable to vt100.

of course, Oracle 7.3 will need to be installed in a separate home directory. i'd recommend you set ORACLE_HOME to the desired directory before starting the install. then there are fewer things to change, and less of a chance that you'll mess up anything in the Oracle 8.x install.

i strongly recommend that you do NOT run the root.sh script, since it will replace files already installed for Oracle 8.x.

for oracle 7.3.4 the executable is orainst, located in the install directory on the CD.

HTH "SkiDad" <skidad_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8sqcau$r5h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I hope I won't be needing forms. ;-)
> I have found a Oracle 7 Server V7.3.2.2 CD. Might this do to get a
> "*client-only* install" with the SQL*Net 2.0?
> Any idea what the how to start installing from the HP-UX Oracle Server
> 7.3.2.2 CD? I of course found no documentation with it. It apparently is
> not started with ./runInstaller as is the Oracle 8i stuff.
> SkiDad. . .
>

> > Frank wrote:
> > Guess you do need a *client-only* install of 7.3.4 for HPUX.
> > Next you're telling you need forms 3.0?
> >
> > SkiDad wrote:
> >
> > > So, as you can imagine, the next question is where to find SQL*net
 2.0.
> > > It does not seem to be on my Oracle 8.1.6 CD. Finding the old oracle
> > > CD's around here seems to be a problem. Any idea what CD I should be
> > > looking for to find an SQL*net 2.0(+) that runs on HP-UX 11.0?
> > > SkiDad. . .

 SQL*Net.

 Oracle
 7