Re: ORA-12560 Error

From: Mazur <robertm_at_sherwoodforestfarms.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:43:30 -0700

Thank you. OK...we're getting there. I now have a listener called moby. I can access it from the server, and I can ping it from the server. If I do a:
lsnr status moby
...I get a whole bunch of good stats back without mention of error.

But, from the client, I still can not reach moby. I still get ORA-12560: TNS: protocol adapter error.

If I ping from the client I get:
tnsping moby
TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

Just to be sure I understand, I should be able to do the command from a c:\ at the client, and my tnsnames.ora should tell my client to go out into the network for the listener, right?

Maybe my tnsnames.ora on my client is faulty? The name of the NT server on the network is rainserver_b, so I have:

moby =
	(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = rainserver_b)(PORT = 1521) )
(CONNECT_DATA =

Do you see anything wrong? Is there something else that must be happening on the client to make this work? The client side is a new install of Oracle8i-cleint.

Thank you!
Rob