Re: Oracle DBA courses

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:27:36 +1000

Hi Niall,

To do it in less, I would need frequent intraveinous injections of something more than speed!!! (Slightly dazed grin)

Let me tell (having just done another one): we spent 5 days doing the DBA Fundamentals bits and pieces. We had half hour lunch breaks and two ten minute breaks for tea and ice creams in the morning and afternoons. And we *still* needed to skip the labs (practices) for the last four chapters. It's frankly impossible to do it in less than 5 days, though I'm prepared to admit that if I cut all the extras out (such as how to backup a controlfile and how to put the database into archivelog mode, which I consider bare minima) I could conceivably fit the last few labs into the scheme of things.

Comment after comment says it should be six days -but that's just impossible (running into two weeks... an extra exorbitant $700 Aussie etc). I do my best, but it's a hopeless cause.

As for the Backup and Recovery course -it's much more relaxed. But the old Oracle8 course used to be just 3 days, and you got half and hour in which to deal with ALL of RMAN... daft like you wouldn't believe!! These days, the 4 days make much more sense.

So, honest opinion? 9 days is absolutely minimum, and you'd be a complete plonker to expect to cover the ground in anything less.

Also: don't forget the other 6 days for performance tuning and network admin. Plus, I've come to the conclusion that the 8i New Features course (5 days) really ought to be considered the "Advanced DBA" course -you'd be mad to miss it (if you fancy learning anything about partitioning, IOTs, fine-grained access and so on).

And anyone who thinks that attending all the courses qualifies them to be an Oracle DBA is a complete looney, in my humble opinion. That takes real life and a lifetime of experience and continuing 'education'.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000