Re: Handling of archive logs

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:36:09 GMT

Stefan,

You didn't say what version of Oracle you are using. I haven't checked 8i but - given the explosion of non-logging activities - there might be an option to bypass logging. I don't think there's a simple way in earlier versions.

Of course, you could switch archive logging off for the import and then switch it on again. (If you do, though, you've then got to take a full backup - or, at least - start your backup sequences -for the logs to be of any value.)

How often are you doing this import! It sounds as if it's fairly regular. If it is, do you need archive logging on?

Anyway, all that neatly avoids your question! I think the answer is that you manage the logs in the best way for you. I don't see any problem in regularly compressing the logs. In fact, I'd suggest you move them to another disk at the same time. However, be careful not to compress the last log: Oracle may actually be in the process of archiving it at the time. Could be messy.

If you are importing a lot, you could look at developing the "export" in a format that would allow you to use SQL*Loader. I think you can avoid the logs with this.

Len