Re: create new tablespace (redhat linux 6.2 + oracle 8i)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:40:20 +1000

Two things.

First, ORACLE_HOME is an environment variable, and is, er, invariably in uppercase.

At the operating system prompt, try typing 'export' on its own, and seeing what the list of environmental variables are. You should see ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME... maybe ORACLE_BASE. You should also see what these things are set to.

I only mention that because environment variables are, er, variable: what it points to todays might not be what it points to tomorrow. You ought therefore to get into the habit of supplying the full path and filenames for these sorts of things. You can probably get away with it for now, but keep it in mind.

Second, your statement will fail because you are not specifying the size of your datafile.

Hence, try

create tablespace tstmp datafile '$ORACLE_HOME/oradata/tstmp.dbf' size 10Mb

(or whatever size is appropriate).

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000