Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:06:34 -0500

The primary difference between 8 and 8i is more bugs. OK, I'm only kidding, all versions of Oracle have a lot of bugs. I *do* like 8i, but I need bug spray to support it.

I set cursor_sharing=FORCE and I get 50-100 core dumps daily. I try to export and I get "invalid column name" errors when exporting synonyms because Oracle incorrectly thought the java package had been installed. Then after resolving that I get failed imports with 20001 errors because import under 8i can't seem to handle the statistics generated on the exported database so I have to set analyze=n in the parfile. Then, I leave work after being there 12 hours to accomplish 4 hours of work if I didn't have to account for troubleshooting bug time.

PS, for those of you who have 8i, check to see if you have a view called v$dlm_traffic_controller, I have yet to see the view created with either an install or upgrade.(another bug?)(it fails with a table or view does not exist).Also gv$_dlm_traffic_controller.

Oh well, if it weren't for problems I might be unemployed. And, by the way Howard, neither 8 nor 8i are "the sun". That is reserved for the bug free 9i.(cough, cough).

I love Oracle, I just needed to vent after another long day. Thank you for your support.

--
Dave A

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message

> Without wishing to seem trite, my only real suggestion is to drop Oracle 8
> as quickly as possible, and install 8.1.6 or better, and concentrate on
the
> 8i material.
>
> I speak as one who thought the sun was 8.0.x but who has recently
discovered
> that it was merely a stepping stone to the much better things in 8i.
>
> And no, I don't have Oracle shares (I have Seagate shares instead, whihc
> makes much more sense).
>
> Regards
> HJR
> --
> Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
> Oracle DBA Resources: http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000
>
> <bill_n_opus_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I've done a quick search but I can't find "part 1" and "part 2" I'm
> > also very interested in any responses as well. I'm just begun Oracle 8
> > right now, ILT and while i'm excited about the technology and the
> > prospects of a possible bright career i'm also worried about
> > positioning myself properly for the IT world as I do not come from a
> > comp backgroud other than being a hobbyist.
> >
> > I'm thinking about going back to school for a semester after this
> > certification to do a UNIX course and maybe some Java since many here
> > seem to suggest that being recruited for developer skills may be a good
> > way to enter the market coupled with your OCP.
> >
> > If i'm running Oracle 8.05 on NT at home does anyone have any
> > suggestions on how to maximize my learning process? I'm thinking of
> > creating a pretend database and begin learning about networking in
> > general in order to get more experience because i'm not getting it
> > while working at my present job (Healh Care).
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.0010161302580.32757-100000_at_Bayou.UH.EDU>,
> > H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been struggling lately because I'd like to make
> > > a career change but am not sure which IT field I want to switch to.
I'm