Re: Performance Problem.

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:10:41 GMT

In article <39eb085b.2043375_at_nntp.edi.noha-systems.com>,   rfairbairn_at_uk.noha-systems.com (Richard Fairbairn) wrote:
> Hi,
> Our database has a very large table that holds customer details. The
> table is accessed often by most processes.
>
> I have written a process that reads in records from an external
> datrafile. it must check the customer table to make sure that a record
> read in is valid. The process checks about 5 column values in the
> customer record (which has upwards of 30 fields per record).
>
> My process is taking forever to run. I am not terribly au fait with
> performance tuning but have tried a few experiments and they do not
> seem to have been successful. Even if I generate indexes on the fields
> I am using in the table everything is still slow. Too slow.
>
> The workaround i came up with was to flush and then repopulate a
> temporary table just prior to executing my process. The process now
> runs at an acceptable speed and is complete before it is neeced to be
> run again :))
>
> I am not sure if this is the best thing to have fdone and wonder if
> someone might take the time to tell me if there is anything else that
> i coud have done to make thngs better.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> RWF

First of all: use Sqlloader, it has been designed for this purpose Secondly: don't 'load' directly into a production table (and you don't seem to do that anymore)
Thirdly: check the alert for 'cannot allocate new log' and 'checkpoint not complete messages' This might point to problems in your logwriter process. If you use sqlloader you can do that in direct mode thus bypassing the loggin mechanism completely.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply