Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: <bill_n_opus_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:27:55 GMT

I've done a quick search but I can't find "part 1" and "part 2" I'm also very interested in any responses as well. I'm just begun Oracle 8 right now, ILT and while i'm excited about the technology and the prospects of a possible bright career i'm also worried about positioning myself properly for the IT world as I do not come from a comp backgroud other than being a hobbyist.

I'm thinking about going back to school for a semester after this certification to do a UNIX course and maybe some Java since many here seem to suggest that being recruited for developer skills may be a good way to enter the market coupled with your OCP.

If i'm running Oracle 8.05 on NT at home does anyone have any suggestions on how to maximize my learning process? I'm thinking of creating a pretend database and begin learning about networking in general in order to get more experience because i'm not getting it while working at my present job (Healh Care).

Thanks and regards,

Bill

In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.0010161302580.32757-100000_at_Bayou.UH.EDU>,   H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been struggling lately because I'd like to make
> a career change but am not sure which IT field I want to switch to.
 I'm
> interested in
> Oracle database administration, systems administration, and e-
 commerce,
> and I'm trying to figure out which of these areas interests me the
 most.

> I took two classes on databases at the university a while ago, and I
> enjoyed them very much. Besides this, I don't have any experience with
> databases.
>
> There are 2 main points that hold me back from going into Database
> Administration, that is:
> 1. A lot of overtime or lots of hours involved.
> 2. High Stress.
> In your opinion, to what extent are these two points true? For
 instance,
> would you consider
> database administration to be one far more stressful than systems
> administration or other web
> related jobs (such as webmastere-commerce expert)?
>
> Also, it sounds like it is hard to find a job as an Oracle DBA
> when all you have is Oracle's DBA Certification (from OCP) but no
> exsperience.
> My understanding is that, for this reason, people who want to become
 an
> Oracle DBA
> must first work in some database related job.
> I have a couple of questions on this:
> 1. Which jobs would help me gain the necessary experience to later
 become
> a DBA?
> (d
>
> 2. How long would I have to wait before I can go into DB
 administration?

> Thank you very much for your time,
> H_H

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 12:27:55 CDT