Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: Steven Hauser <hause011_at_garnet.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 19 Oct 2000 19:09:06 -0500

Niall Litchfield begs the question:
>Just out of interest how many hours do you work per week. And is that in a
>24/7 environment or a 9-5 place.

24/6.9 with Sunday as the designated maintain period. I bill about 36 hours per week, wander in at about 10 or 11 in the morning, take off early to fish. And yes I do some Sundays. But I take off Friday or Tuesday on those weeks.

Of course, we run Unix, have big fault tolerant Terabyte disk arrays, hot backups to tape robots that have 10's of drives per robot and a seasoned group of pro-active Unix admins.

We also do not let people develop code or log onto production systems and use a change control process which keeps systems stable and changes controlled.

We also practice disaster recovery scenarios and goof around with our software so we know it and any recovery is just routine instead of a thrill ride down the spiral of death.

If chaos reigns in your environment then it will rain chaos.

Steven Hauser
email: hause011@tc.umn.edu   URL: http://www.sofbot.com/