Reasons for flushing shared pool

From: Ben Ryan <benryan_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:10:33 GMT

I have a client who I am told is running an OLTP production database with a job scheduled to run ever hour to flush the shared pool. (Presumably via executing ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL by running, say, a cron job.)

The application using the database (8.0.5.2.1 on HP-UX 11.0), to the best of my knowledge does NOT use PL/SQL and DOES use bind variables (application uses ODBC).

The client is encountering problems with insufficient space in the shared pool. Given that the application is using bind variables, then it sounds to me that the shared pool (specifically the libary cache) is too small.

Can anyone think why flushing the shared pool would be a useful in this senario?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 17:10:33 CDT