Re: Database Block Size

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:03:52 GMT

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:36:59 -0500, "Dave A" <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>EMC's advice was to put all of the "hot" tables onto the same disk! The
>logic was that this will cause thier caching algorithm to see that disk as
>needing to be put into memory and kept there.

Hey, if you have enough cache, flaunt it! ;-)

>We will also be using Veritas's QIO and from what they said, we should not
>worry about what objects are on what disk, but to strip e across all disks
>thereby having "automatic" load balancing.

That's not a bad idea. Striping on EMC's is very fast and increases I/O throughput accordingly. Probably the best way of using them, IMHO. Make sure you're using the fibre channels instead of SCSI ones: they are truly fast. Not long ago I was getting 40Mb/sec sustained on those. much higher on burst.

>Whichever route I take, one thing is for sure, times are a changin!

Too right.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam