Re: excel odbc to oracle request

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:10:05 +1000

Hi Jane,

Funny you should ask -I've just had to do this for myself. Not sure if it's what you're after, and I'm not sure whether it would be the same for any version of Excel other than Excel 2000, but all I did was click [Data] [Get External Data] [New Database Query].

That invokes Microsoft Query, and at that point, I chose from the list of possible sources the name of the ODBC source previously created using the Control Panel applet (which was pointing at my Oracle database). Time to make a nice cup of coffee, a soufflé or two and a small roast dinner, and by the time I was just finishing off the plum pudding, the connection to the database had been made, and Lo! There was SCOTT.EMP available for selection (along with everything else too).

After that, it was all pretty plain sailing (apart from the repeated crashes. God, I love Microsoft products).

All in all, I am left feeling as Samuel Johnson did about the dog that danced: not that he did it well, but that he did it at all was impressive.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000