PL/SQL Help

From: Ethan Post <epost1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:41:27 GMT

I have a job that runs from DBMS_JOB every minute and calls a procedure in a package. Occasionally the procedure runs long and the job recalls  the procedure. This can have some bad side effects as instances of the procedure or updating, inserting and deleting on a number of tables. Occasionally I get a lock that sends the SNP process to about 90% CPU usage. I have to kill the offending session to fix. I want to make sure the procedure is only running once. I tried a package level variable for a flag and it appears that that is unique to each caller. Should I use a table and put a flag in it? Let me know what you think.

--
Ethan
http://www.freetechnicaltraining.com/people_1.htm - Homepage

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/