Re: Any possibility for faster INSERTS/UPDATES?

From: <jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:28:39 GMT

If the secondary inserts you're doing are for multiple rows, you can use the APPEND hint. Example:
INSERT /*+ APPEND */ into a (select * from b)

This will direct oracle to insert rows above the high water mark rather that blocks that are on the freelist. This works well if you are inserting serveral rows into a table at a time in batch. Also, altering the table NOLOGGING can help with the inserts as well. If the target table in question has several indexes and you don't need them all for your load, it may be quicker to drop, load, and then re-create the index.

In article <ROcH5.1093$G3.179425280_at_news.telia.no>,   "Randi Wølner" <rw_at_computas.no> wrote:
> I am working with conversion of a large quantity of data that are
 first read
> from text files into Oracle tables, and then processed and put into
> different tables. I was very satisfied with using the 'Direct Path'
 option
> of SQL*Loader, so reading the data into Oracle goes real fast.
>
> But - after loading the data I do lots of inserts and updates to put
 the
> data into many tables, and this takes lots of time. When this job
 will be
> done 'for real' I will have the database on my own.
> Is there any option in Oracle I could use to 'disable' the use of
 rollback
> segments, to make things speed up?
>
> Thanks,
> Randi Wølner

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 18 2000 - 18:28:39 CDT