Re: Any possibility for faster INSERTS/UPDATES?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:15:58 GMT

In article <ROcH5.1093$G3.179425280_at_news.telia.no>,   "Randi Wølner" <rw_at_computas.no> wrote:
> I am working with conversion of a large quantity of data that are
 first read
> from text files into Oracle tables, and then processed and put into
> different tables. I was very satisfied with using the 'Direct Path'
 option
> of SQL*Loader, so reading the data into Oracle goes real fast.
>
> But - after loading the data I do lots of inserts and updates to put
 the
> data into many tables, and this takes lots of time. When this job will
 be
> done 'for real' I will have the database on my own.
> Is there any option in Oracle I could use to 'disable' the use of
 rollback
> segments, to make things speed up?
>
> Thanks,
> Randi Wølner

You can't disable them (and you shouldn't do so while it is one of the key features of an RDBMS). Sorry to say so but this sounds like a typical newbie remark.
Most likely the real problems is not rollback but the configuration of your redo log files. The default is 200k, which is almost always too small. Details on enlarging redolog files have been posted several times on this group, the last time yesterday
in this thread

http://x71.deja.com/viewthread.xp?thitnum=1&mhitnum=0&toffset=0&CONTEXT= 971860231.1907949590&frpage=threadmsg_md.xp&back=comp.databases.oracle.s erver&new=0&rok=1

Hth,

--