Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: Mark <cdo_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:04:28 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:03:20 -0500, H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> almost coherently wrote:
>There are 2 main points that hold me back from going into Database
>Administration, that is:
>1. A lot of overtime or lots of hours involved.
>2. High Stress.
>In your opinion, to what extent are these two points true?

Depends how good you are at DBA :-)

If you're good, you'll automate as much as possible, and spend most of the time surfing the web (not that I would do such a thing ;)).

You have to be prepared for some high stress, high overtime moments, such as losing a hard drive, or other events catastrophic to your database, but these tend to be fairly rare.

The only other time you really suffer long hours is when a new project is being moved into production, depending on how smoothly it goes.

--
Mark Styles - Oracle/Unix developer and DBA
http://www.lambic.co.uk