Re: Database Block Size

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:17:44 +0800

 http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

> > > Maybe you could tell Oracle to alter the documentation, then? You're
 closer
> > > than me ;-)
> > >

> > Have you read the documentation for the Backup and Recovery course??? The
> > DBA course is bad enough, but the BUR one is worse. And no, complaining
> > about it doesn't make a bit of difference. So whatever the documentation
> > says, talk to the experts, and Steve Adams knows what he's talking about
 it
> > (as far as I'm concerned, anyway).
> >
> > And he says 8K is a given for most Unixes with file systems, for reasons
> > that make entire good sense as far as I can work out.
> >
> > So take it up with him.
> >
> > Personally, I reckon this subject arouses so much debate because there are
> > so many DBAs out there who made the wrong decision, and don't like to
 admit
> > it. Probably too much effort to fix the balls-up.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR

I get the same gripe....My workaround is to

  1. ask for raw
  2. if that gets declined, ask for Quick IO (Veritas)
  3. if that gets declined, ask for Direct I/O mounted file systs

after that ... ask for another contract :-)

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
(faster/mirrored at http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

Its not the voices in my head that bother me...
  its the voices in yours.