Should I get rid of the "middleware" (Cold Fusion)?

From: John Doe <fake_at_address.fake>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:02:03 GMT

Oracle 8.1.7

Okay, first I'll admit that I a little confused by the enormous number of new Oracle technologies, utilities, cartridges etc. that are available from Oracle these days. I'm used to using some sort of application/page server in the middle such as Cold Fusion or ASP/COM to generate the HTML from SQL queries through ODBC, OleDB, etc. It seems like with all the java/xml/jsp/servlet/application server technologies being tightly integrated into Oracle, that it makes sense to get rid of overhead like Cold Fusion for web apps whos primary content data is stored in Oracle. My primary concern is that this may be over-kill for projects that aren't extremely large-scale "enterprise" type things. Let's say I have to develop a web-site that is primarily a bunch of data reports..... say 100 different reports with a fair amount of drill-down wizards and business logic applied. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to seem some general discussion and even better I'd like to see some possible architecture examples ways things like that this should be implemented entirely within Oracle. I'm not interested in Applet/JDBC stuff on the client side. Is it common to have both IIS and Oracle's web server running for the same site? Servlet or JSP, etc.?

Thanks!!!! Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 22:02:03 CDT