Re: how do I enable the Semphore - for oracle installation ?

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:22:31 -0500

Comments at bottom

> > While others have addressed the original questions, I did want to
 address
> > the shminfo_shmmax parameter. The Oracle documentation incorrectly
 states
> > that this parameter *has* to be set to 4 gig. Thinking about this for
 even
> > a second it becomes immediately obvious that this cannot be true. Even
> > Oracle support seems to think this is true. I called about a down
> > production system and one of the questions they asked me was what the
 value
> > of the settings in /etc/system were. I told them that I have
 shminfo_shmmax
> > set to 440mb, rather than 4 gig.
> >
> > Their response was that my database was then unsupported and they could
 not
> > help me until I changed the value to 4gb!
> >
> > My reponse to them was to have them justify to me why the value needs to
 be
> > anything larger than just large enough to accomodate the SGA. They
 could
> > not and they backed down, admitting that this value only needs to be
 large
> > enough for the SGA.
> >

> How could it be set that large if there isn't that much memory? In general
> typically always go with a shmmax figure that is around 80% of physical
memory.

That's more or less my point. For The Oracle Instalation guide to require telling the OS to allow Oracle to use more memory than it has is bizarre. While I see no harm in allowing 80% of system memory to go to Oracle, I have no idea why anything more than the size of the sga would need to be set for this parameter. Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 20:22:31 CDT