Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA (part 3)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:54:25 +0200

Just an attempt at an answer.

Both 1 and 2 can be involved. However, they largely depend on - getting enough resources to build a well-organised environment - the capability, partly by means of scripts, to act proactive (ie predict future problems)
- the capability of developing robust maintenance free procedures to maintain your databases.
This will not say disaster will never strike, but at least you will be prepared for it.
The biggest problem area usually is the first item in my list as management consistently tries to cut back on cost, and they see that extra disk, and they don't see your stress and/or your overtime, as you are getting paid anyway.
If you have a well organised database (or a database where someone is saying 'you are not allowed to do this because it is not in the Service Level Agreement'), being a DBA can be a parttime job. If you are really tied to your screen for 40 hours trying to survive something is really wrong.

As for jobs:
first of all, as a DBA you really should know SQL very well, You also should know how to tune your statements and to tune your database. Those are the aspects of your work that really involve creativity, making backups and installing software is going to be a routine matter soon, and of course it doesn't happen frequently.
So you should try to be on the 'other side', ie being a developer first, before becoming a DBA. I would recommend trying to find a job where they host Oracle on Unix, you will be forced to learn vi and korn shell and the sooner you do that the better, you'r going to need it anyway.

Just my 2 Eurocents and comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA