Re: MySQL -> Oracle

From: Glenn Heinze <glennh_at_kw.igs.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:46:03 -0400

"Markku S" <markku.s_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:slrn8umch0.k68.markku.s_at_sirppi.helsinki.fi...
> Hi. I've used mysql before and now I have to do some oracle stuff. Which
> would be equivalents of mysql's SHOW TABLES and SHOW COLUMNS FROM table?

show tables: select table_name from dba_tables; show columns: desc <table_name>

To get an idea of some of the catalog views (ex dba_tables, dba_columns, dba_segments, dba_indexes, dba_tablespaces, ...):

select view_name
  from dba_views
  where table_name like 'DBA_%';

You need privileges to the system schemas for this. Otherwise use 'USER_' views instead. Many of the views starting with 'DBA' also have equivalents starting with 'USER' and 'ALL'. 'DBA' lists all. 'USER' lists yours. 'ALL' lists all you have permission to. ex DBA_VIEWS, USER_VIEWS, ALL_VIEWS. Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 13:46:03 CDT