Is this a new feature or bug in Oracle 8i?

From: <janobi_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:21:40 GMT

While I was doing an upgrade to Oracle 8i, I found the following:

Oracle: 8.1.6.2
OS: IBM AIX 4.3.3 Open three unix sessions with the same ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME.

On session 1: logon to database as any user. Do nothing, just be there;

On session 2: connecting as internal through svrmgrl, then do "shutdown normal". It will not shutdown the DB because the user from session 1 is still in;

Now the problem is on session 3 I can't start svrmgrl or sqlplus. Instead I get an ORA-3113. NO ONE can log in at this point.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I don't remember this is the case with Oracle 7.3 and 8.0. I can always open another server manager and do "shutdown immediate or abort" to shutdown the DB, or at least I can log onto the DB as internal while shutdown is in progress. Can anyone with Oracle 8.1.6.2 running on AIX test this? Don't worry about your DB, you can cancel "shutdown normal" after testing and it is not going to hurt your DB.

Thanks,

Jan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 18:21:40 CDT