Re: how do I enable the Semphore - for oracle installation ?

From: Dave A <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:52:45 -0500

While others have addressed the original questions, I did want to address the shminfo_shmmax parameter. The Oracle documentation incorrectly states that this parameter *has* to be set to 4 gig. Thinking about this for even a second it becomes immediately obvious that this cannot be true. Even Oracle support seems to think this is true. I called about a down production system and one of the questions they asked me was what the value of the settings in /etc/system were. I told them that I have shminfo_shmmax set to 440mb, rather than 4 gig.

Their response was that my database was then unsupported and they could not help me until I changed the value to 4gb!

My reponse to them was to have them justify to me why the value needs to be anything larger than just large enough to accomodate the SGA. They could not and they backed down, admitting that this value only needs to be large enough for the SGA.

--
Dave A