Re: Rollback error situation

From: Brad Whitlock <brad.whitlock_at_honeywell.NOSPAM.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:02:52 -0500

How many seqments are online? Are you specifying a particular segment for the app to use, or letting Oracle pick one?

Segment shrinking only happens when a transaction is assigned to a segment, not when one finishes. So if you have say 3 segments and aren't specifying one, the situation would be:

Tablespace = 1000MB, Seg1 = 800MB (ready to be shrunk), Seg2 = 50MB, Seg3 = 50MB.

Job-A needs 400MB.
Job-A was assigned to Seg2, and crashed.
Job-A was restarted, assigned to Seg3, and crashed.
Since no other jobs were running, nothing was assigned to Seg1, so it never automatically shrank.
When you manually shrunk the segments (including Seg1), the space was freed up and Job-A had what it needed.

As to why now, after a year of no problems: Did someone run a special job, possibly from SQL*Plus, that consumed more segment space than ever before? Was the rollback configuration changed?